SCA Coffee Skills Program: Introduction to Coffee
September 21, 2019 @ 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
As the first module in the SCA Coffee Skills Program, Introduction to Coffee is for anyone who is new to the coffee industry or just has an interest in this wonderful drink.
Answering the question “what is Specialty coffee”, this course charts coffee’s journey from its origins in Ethiopia to the major commodity it is today and explores the drink enjoyed by millions of people around the world. From farming the cherries through drying, roasting, brewing and finally drinking, this module looks at the processes coffee goes through to become a beverage. The course also includes a coffee cupping which allows you to taste the various flavors coffee has to offer.
Topics Covered in Introduction to Coffee:
- What is Specialty coffee?
- History and development of coffee consumption and cultivation around the world
- Introduction to objective coffee tasting/cupping
- Explore key concepts of coffee’s genetics, processing, and the geographical regions in which it is grown
- Introduction to the coffee roasting process and roasting terminology
- The impact of freshness and storage method on coffee quality
- Hands-on experience with manual brewing on a variety of devices
- Identify and describe common cafe drinks
0 people are attending SCA Coffee Skills Program: Introduction to Coffee