SCA Intro to Coffee is a primer for those new to Specialty coffee or who are just getting started in the Coffee Skills Program. Whether beginning a career as a barista, or perfecting your home brewing program, this module answers the question “what is Specialty coffee” and follows coffee’s journey from its origins in Ethiopia to the major commodity that it is today. From farming the cherries through drying, roasting, brewing and finally drinking, this module looks at the processes coffee goes through to become a beverage. This half-day course also includes a coffee “cupping” which allows you to taste the various flavors coffee has to offer.
Topics Covered in SCA Introduction to Coffee:
- What is Specialty coffee?
- History and development of coffee consumption and cultivation around the world
- Introduction to objective coffee tasting/cupping using the Specialty Coffee Association coffee cupping protocol
- Explore key concepts of coffee’s genetics, processing, and the geographical regions in which it is grown
- Introduction to the coffee roasting process and roasting terminology
- The impact of freshness and storage method on coffee quality
- Hands-on experience with manual brewing on a variety of devices
- Identify and describe common cafe drinks